Don’t think. Write. 3-Day Novel Contest begins September 1st
The International 3-Day Novel Writing is a great way to get a book idea out of your head and onto the page. Don’t let the idea of a 72-hour writing marathon scare you. It can be done. Don’t think you are expected to generate a 600 page monster novel in three days. You aren’t. Don’t worry that the contest starts in a matter of days. It does.
I have done the 3-day Novel Contest before? Yes. Do I know anyone who went on to publish the novel they started during this contest? Yes. Is it worth the effort? Yes.
You have until August 31, 2012 (this FRIDAY) to register for this year’s event. Read on for why you should participate and what you need to do.
Can you produce a masterwork of fiction in three short days? The 3-Day Novel Contest is your chance to find out. For more than 30 years, hundreds of writers step up to the challenge each Labour Day weekend, fuelled by nothing but adrenaline and the desire for spontaneous literary nirvana. It’s a thrill, a grind, a 72-hour kick in the pants and an awesome creative experience. How many crazed plotlines, coffee-stained pages, pangs of doubt and moments of genius will next year’s contest bring forth? And what will you think up under pressure?
I’m sure you can whip up a 100-reasons-why-I-can’t-do-the-3-day-Novel-Contest. We all could, and I bet the first reason would be the entry fee. Yes, they have a fairly heft entry fee but this is a 30-year old international contest that has massive overhead in order to make this happen. The grand prize is a publishing contract. But remember, this is also about the experience of writing, writing in a marathon, and writing a novel in three days. If you’re willing to forgo the prizes, you can participate in the event without registering. Let’s forget about all those reasons why you can’t do it and focus on why you will.
5 reasons to do the 3-day Novel Contest
- It’s a great way to get that pesky book idea out of your head and onto the page.
- It is a great experience that teaches you a lot about yourself as a person and a writer.
- It’s a procrastinator’s best friend. Produce you must.
- It’s a quick way to write a fast white-heat first draft.
- It’s fun. (Okay, in a nerve-wracking sort of way.)
5 ways to prepare for the annual 3-day Novel Writing Contest
Remember, you are allowed to do a lot of things to prepare but you can NOT write any actual pages of the novel before the starting date. )
- Read ALL the rules, details, and guidelines.
- Commit before August 31st ends, make the commitment and fill out the online registration form.
- Prepare by reading the 3-Day Novel Contest official Survival Guide
- Choose an idea.
- Write up a quick synopsis or brief outline.
- Stock up on food, drink, and any other needs you anticipate.
- Set up accountability by telling your friends and family members and ask for their support.
- Check your office supplies and make sure you are ready to go on September 1st.
That’s it for today. Give the contest some thought but not too much. If you think you’d like to take up the challenge either officially or off the books, let’s do it. Stay tuned for more updates and let me know what you think in the comments below.
No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
To find more links and shares, go to Down the Writer’s Path Facebook Page. Share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below.